A dinner classic made healthy with wheat cereal squares to take the place of filling breadcrumbs. The current list of ingredients below will provide 8 servings, however can be adjusted accordingly for more or less.
- 1/2 cup ketchup (low sugar preferably)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups crispy wheat cereal squares
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard and mix. Remove 4 tbsp of this mixture and reserve for later. To the bulk of the mix, add Worcestershire sauce, salt, onion, garlic, egg, milk and pepper and mix.
- Stir in cereal squares and let stand for 5 minutes. Break up cereal squares and add your meat, mixing well.
- Shape mixture into mini loaf pans. NOTE: If you do not have a mini loaf pan you can easily use a muffin pan instead. The cook time may vary slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 65 minutes. Brush ketchup you’ve reserved and bake for 15 more minutes.